Cinsa is the first brand in the kitchenware industry of Mexico with more than 85 years of presence in the Mexican market. The company is part of GIS group and is located in Saltillo (Coahuila State).
Some of their production process involves welding machines for aluminium and stainless steel products. Such processes are subject to very rapid variation of the load, generating peaks of reactive power.
The right solution for the power factor correction in those applications is a Dynamic PF Correction.
Dynamic power factor correction use electronic switches (thyristor modules) instead of electromechanical ones (contactors), which allow an unlimited number of switching operations and also assure a short reaction time to load changes. This result in the following advantages:
– Extremely short reaction time (few milliseconds)
– Switching without transients
– Reduction of reactive power, even in case of rapidly fluctuating loads = saving costs
– Elimination of flickering and voltage drops on the line supply
– Improved utilization of the energy distribution
– Longer service life
For this project, the contractor supplied and installed at CINSA electrical panels including LOVATO Electric controllers for dynamic power factor correction DCRG8F (3pcs) and thyristor modules DCTLA series (16pcs).
In order to provide a better monitoring of the system the thyristor modules are connected to the controller in Modbus RS485, offering the following benefits:
– Simplifying a lot the wiring in the panel (only one twisted pair cable in daisy chain for controlling and monitoring the thyristor modules switching)
– It is possible for the facility manager of the company to monitor the status and measures of each DCTL… thyristor module (temperature, currents, voltages, residual power, THDI, operating hours, etc…) from the display of DCRG8F